Clinton, IA – Tee shirts. Calendars. Tote bags. Mouse pads. Pens. Mugs. Promotional products are a valuable communication tool when it comes to building your brand, recognizing employees, boosting sales and marketing company events. “As part of an overall marketing or communications program, they can grab attention, generate goodwill and reinforce messages,” said Johnna Rettig, communications manager at American Speedy Printing.
Because promotional products are often useful or decorative and may be imprinted with a logo or message, business professionals use them for everything from trade show giveaways and announcing new services to extending holiday wishes. According to the Promotional Products Association International (PPAI), the promotional products industry is now an $18.1 billion business.
A recent PPAI study showed:
- 55 percent of respondents keep their promotional products for more than one year.
- 76 percent could recall the advertiser’s name on the promotional product that they had received within the past 12 months.
- 75 percent kept their promotional products because they were useful.
“Businesses of any size can use promotional products throughout the year as part of their communications plan,” said Rettig. “With more than 660,000 products to choose from, make sure you select one worth keeping.” According to PPAI, the leading three categories of promotional products are wearables (hats, tee shirts), writing instrumentals and calendars.
Following are additional tips for effective use of promotional products:
- Define a specific objective. Is your goal to build excitement for a new company program, boost sales with current customers or show appreciation?
- Determine a workable distribution plan to a targeted audience. A carefully-executed distribution plan significantly increases the effectiveness of promotional products. Will they be part of a targeted direct mail campaign or used as a handout?
- Don’t pick an item based solely on uniqueness, price or perceived value. Avoid the latest trends or fads. And remember that audience perceptions or a gift are not exclusively cost related.
- Check imprinting and embroidery. Some products look great but the quality of the imprinting or embroidery is not the best. “Ask your marketing services provider to obtain an imprint sample comparable to your project,” advised Rettig. In the case of embroidery, obtain a sample of your artwork to review and approve.
About American Speedy Printing
American Speedy Printing is a member of Allegra Network LLC, one of the world’s largest marketing, print and graphic communications franchises in the world, linking more than 550 locations in North America.
# # #